Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Two minutes to spare

The Pierini DIET - click here to learn more

A gym friend and I frequently engage in fitness small talk whenever we bump into each other. He’s in good shape but working on losing a few more pounds of bodyweight to be at his “fighting weight”. Like most, his workouts include fairly frequent cardio sessions of moderate duration to help him reach his goal.

So I shared my sage fitness advise to be careful that he doesn’t sabotage his bodyweight loss goal with too much cardio. I told him that oftentimes at the end of a long cardio pony journey, a stallion appetite awaits us.

A couple weeks ago he shared that he had reduced his cardio sessions from 45 minutes to 20 minutes and increased the intensity as I suggested, also sharing that he liked these shorter-duration and higher-intensity workouts. Telling him that was good, in the same breath of air I immediately followed with the suggestion that he decrease the duration and ramp up the intensity even more. I suggested he try the Concept 2 rowing machine and see how long it would take him to row 500 meters. I shared my experience with this cardio burst and how it left me spent and completely satisfied my cardio appetite.

Monday evening I bumped into my friend again and asked if he had taken the Concept 2 rowing machine for a drive yet. He had been dodging that cardio bullet after I suggested that a fit person like him ought to be able to complete 500 meters in about 1:50. He shared that he did go on his first 500-meter date but was disappointed because his time was 2:01. I told him that was a great first time and that there’s a performance strategy that he needs to discover to improve his time. He did share how spent he was after that two-minute cardio workout.

So the next time that life is getting in your way of cardio training, just simply ask yourself if you have two minutes to spare.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: