Friday, May 22, 2009

Summertime sleep deficits


I’m beginning to ask the question of what is a nap. It’s been so long since I’ve had one. A great power nap would be wonderful right now. I mentioned power naps in a prior blogflection about sleeping here: Sucker punched in a nightclub brawl

Why do I have a hard time getting sufficient sleep when daylight hours are longer, such as now and through the summer? I believe it goes back to my youth. I played outdoors as a young kid as long as possible until being ordered inside by my parents. As a teenager, when school was in recess during the summer months, I went to bed much later than during the school year. I enjoyed being wide awake during the long and hot summer days and evenings, basking in the sunshine with a euphoric feeling of not having to go to school.

As teenagers, my friends and I roamed around outdoors doing absolutely nothing most of the time. It took us all day, evening and night to get this doing nothing done, and cultivated a feeling that I might miss something if I went to bed early. That lingering feeling still exists to this middle-age man day.

Hopefully soon I’ll get an overdue power nap and feel rejuvenated, but until then I’m sighing and resigning myself to upcoming summertime sleep deficits.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: