Thursday, October 15, 2009

My latest "moi research"


Most everything I know of any personal moving-forward value related to fitness and nutrition is the result of my personal experiments to gather anecdotal and unscientific evidence about how my body responds to stimulus to which it is being subjected. Certainly I’ve learned a lot from reading articles and books, and from the anecdotal stories of others, but my “moi research” has been the most convincing to me.

For example, late last year I concluded that my body did not respond to a popular supplement called glucosamine/chondroitin. You can read about my experiment and final report here: The experiment is done

My latest “moi research” involves a nutritional supplement known by the trademark name of ZMA which stands for zinc magnesium aspartate. I originally learned about ZMA from reading internet fitness forum discussions about its benefits, one of which is deep nighttime sleep. While I generally do not have trouble sleeping, I was curious about these repeated claims and eventually read more about ZMA.

ZMA, a supplement used by bodybuilders and athletes, is a combination of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6. The formula is patent pending and those who peddle it claim that it raises strength levels but, apparently, studies haven’t shown consistent results.

The label of the 120-tablet bottle I purchased describes zinc magnesium aspartate as a supplement for metabolic support and nighttime mineral support with directions to take two tablets daily at bedtime. I did not purchase the trademarked ZMA but another brand that contained a combination of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6, plus some other stuff, in about the same combination as the ZMA product.

Once this anecdotal-based research is completed, it will be the subject of a future Pierini Fitness blogflection where I share the results of my latest “moi research”.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

3 comments:

Tom said...

Good. Now I'm not interested in something I hadn't even heard of. I've gotten pretty good at resisting supplement claims. It took a good 52 (I'm 53) years. Supplements schmupplements.

I'll never claim perfection, though. Who knows - I might fall again. Who knows - it might be the first thing in 53 years that does work.

I do still believe in the power of placebos, though.

DaveFSS said...

One of the few supps out there I have not tried. Others I know that tried were not thrilled.

Pierini Fitness said...

The lure of snake-oil has always been difficult to resist so was the fountain of youth for Ponce de Leon over 500 years ago.