Thursday, October 1, 2009

A sit-up-less ab workout


After an extended hiatus, two weeks ago I resurrected the ab plank hold into my weekly training mix and plan on doing it at least once a week until further notice. I’ve written favorably about this static isometric posture gem exercise, going so far as to say if there was only one ab/core exercise I could do for the rest of my life that this would be it.

Certainly there are many ways to make this exercise more difficult, but I prefer the standard garden variety type where I balance on both of my forearms like the above photo. My personal best hold time in this position is 5:01.

Tuesday was the second time in the past two weeks that I did an ab plank which I held for 3:30. The prior Tuesday was my first time and I held it for 3:00. It will take a little dedicated effort to get close to my 5:01 personal best. Time will tell if I get there or lose interest and move on to something else.

Gone are the days of performing mindless high-volume reps of crunches and sit-ups. I’ve got better things to do with my scarce training time so Tuesday as well as future workouts will be a sit-up-less ab workout.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: