Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Taking off my shirt at the beach


Lately I’ve been busy with my middle-age man fitness ministry spreading the good word to all willing to listen. Currently, there are two men I’m encouraging and mentoring in their fitness resurrection journeys.

My advice is simple in the nutrition department for those wanting to lose weight. “Buy some duct tape” – as in eat less food - is my standard advice. With the holiday season approaching and all the festivities centered on food and drink, this nutrition tip will do wonders to keep in check middle-age men bellies with the propensity to expand on short notice.

My advice is also simple in the exercise department. Find a training program that matches your personality and remember that something is better than nothing. Favor intensity instead of duration particularly if time to exercise is a scare daily resource. I call this the It model – the upper case I stands for INTENSITY while the lowercase t stands for short duration (time) workouts. There’s no need to pitter-patter around in the gym for hours when 10 to 15 minutes of intense exercise can get the job done.

Sunday evening at dinner, I talked to another middle-age man fitness warrior who has triathlete fever and has embarked upon a training program for upcoming triathlon competitions. We discussed how, at this age in our lives, it doesn’t take much to be at the upper percentile of fitness compared to our peers. We discussed my middle-age man fitness benchmarks that I should be able to run up a flight of stair without being winded at the top and be able to bend over and reach down to tie my shoestrings without throwing out my back or ripping the seat of my pants.

There’s one more fitness measure that this middle-age man should be able to do, and that is to have sufficient muscle tone and the absence of a big belly to not be embarrassed when taking off my shirt at the beach.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: