Friday, November 13, 2009

Giving my posterior chain a rest

Introducing the Pierini DIET here

During high school and college, I dodged science courses and took the path of least resistance to graduate. In college, for example, I was required to take two science classes which I fulfilled by taking a nutrition class and an ecology class; I saved the anatomy, biology, physiology and other tough courses for those who really wanted to learn science.

In my fitness journey, I’ve read a lot and learned a little about anatomy and physiology, including the common and formal names for various bones and muscles in my body. One term I’ve learned is “posterior chain” that describes a group of muscles, tendons and ligaments, on the posterior kinetic chain of the body. Examples of these muscles include the biceps femoris, gluteus maximus, erector spinae muscle group, trapezius, posterior deltoids, and so on. The primary exercises for developing the posterior chain are the Olympic lifts, squat, good mornings, deadlifts and hyperextension with the common denominator among these movements being an emphasis on hip extension.

My training thus far this week on Monday and Wednesday focused on the Olympic lifts, but I also did squats and kettlebell swings on both days. In other words, I worked my posterior chain pretty good on both of these training days. Ask my muscles and they’ll tell you.

Today is Friday and I’m debating whether I’ll train today or take another day of rest and train tomorrow. One thing is certain, regardless of when I train and what I do; I’ll be giving my posterior chain a rest.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: