Friday, November 27, 2009

A retired runner

Introducing the Pierini DIET here

Yesterday was the Run to Feed The Hungry, an annual Thanksgiving Day fun-run in Sacramento that attracted about 28,500 runner and walker participants. It’s a very popular early Thanksgiving Day activity and a major fundraising event for a local charitable organization that feeds the homeless offering both a 5k and 10k distance for runners and walkers of all abilities.

I participated in this fun run for several consecutive years and always trained hard for it and ran my guts out on race day. Every year was always about me trying to outperform my previous year’s effort. Some years I did and other years I came up short, but my effort was always my very best.

But now I am an official “retired runner”, a status that I’ve come to grips with despite many years where running was a significant and enjoyable component of my fitness training. Cardio fitness training is now accomplished by other activities, several of which I’ve written about in past Pierini Fitness blogflections.

It’s one of several fitness rites of passage I’ve gone through as I bask in the sunshine of my middle-age manhood. Been there and done it. Check it off. Chasing other fitness pursuits and having fun at it. Call it what you want. That’s what I do. Yup, my name is Pierini and I am a retired runner.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: