Monday, November 16, 2009

The super-tough Sprint 8 workout



On Saturday, I visited my former neighborhood for some business and a friend who I am mentoring in his health and wellness journey accompanied me. For lack of a better term, I'm his "official coach". He's making good fitness progress and is always willing to test my training ideas. Recently, I told him about a hill sprint workout I use to do when I lived in my old neighborhood - with its rolling hills - called Sprint 8. This Sprint 8 workout is explained in the book Ready Set GO! Synergy Fitness by Phil Campbell.

Sprint 8 is basically a high-intensity sprinting workout consisting of 8 rounds of 30 second sprints followed by 90 to 120 seconds of walking recovery. Each round of sprinting is suppose to be a little more intense than the previous round. Doing the sprints on a hill guarantees this progressive intensity.

Here’s a short video of my friend in action:



Watching him in action reminded me of how tough this workout is. I’m a retired runner but cheering him on and reflecting on my “good old days” makes me want to give it another try, the super-tough Sprint 8 workout.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick good job. That was fun to watch.

Next time do the sprint 8 boxing workout. Smack Pierini when he is yelling to lift those legs.

Bob

Pierini Fitness said...

Bob, Good to see you are still with us and haven't been called "home". Come up for air more often. Hope all is well with you and your "Boss". Be safe!