Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A high school dropout

Family members know but I’m not sure others do including many who attended high school with me.  

This makes it a secret, I suppose, although not because of any covert action on my part.   

Unlike a competitive game of poker, I’ve never kept my playing cards close to my chest about this little secret.

So it may come as a surprise to those who think they know me.  I’m an official high school dropout; yup, that’s me. 

I became an official high school dropout when I joined the U.S. Army 41 years ago today.

I did get a GED certificate while in the Army but let’s be real; we know a GED is not the real deal. 

A GED certificate is to a real high school diploma what watching a European travel television program is to actually traveling and seeing the Eiffel Tower or Roman Coliseum.  There’s no comparison any which way you look at it.

The GED (General Educational Development) tests are a group of five subject tests which, when passed, certify that the test taker has American and Canadian high-school level academic skills.  These tests measure proficiency in science, mathematics, social studies, reading and writing.

I took this test when I was age 18 so I suppose my knowledge then was equivalent to what I would have known had I actually graduated from high school. 

I must confess, I’m not so sure I could pass these tests today!

Every now and then, I toy with the idea of going back to high school and getting a real high school diploma.

In a moment of rigorous honesty I confess how I’m too lazy at this point in my life.  Yet the idea is definitely consistent with my perpetual message as ambassador of all middle-aged men of the world:

“Every man who looks in a mirror  sees a 16-year-old kid!”

But in some fairness to me, I did redeem myself after Army military service by completing both a bachelors and masters degree in the knowledge I now use in my profession.

So there you have it sports fans - Pierini is a high school dropout.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: