Thursday, December 26, 2013

Time for a deload

With just a few days remaining this year, I've come to the conclusion my 2013 fitness training is done.  It's time for some rest and relaxation or "deload time" as iron-heads call it.

My final workout was early morning on Christmas Eve and I decided to test my one-rep maximum for the barbell overhead press, one of my favorite strength lifts.

Knowing that I wouldn't match my 2012 accomplishment of 175 lbs. for a single repetition, I felt confident, nonetheless, that I'd knock off a 170 lb. single in what would be my best effort this year.

I didn't feel particularly strong so early this Christmas Eve morning and found my form and ascend explosiveness of having had better days.  Still I was determined and this is what I did with all loads expressed in lbs.
45x3 - 45x3 - singles progression of 95-115-135-145-155-160-165-170 and then a final set of 135x6.
So I got my 170 lb. single and was pleased with my effort.  I did nothing more and called it a day and year.

Now, during my rest and relaxation, I'll map out a 2014 training plan so that I can start the new year with a progressive resistance plan giving me necessary focus with my training.

I don't know where I'm headed in 2014 but right now that's the least of my concerns because it's my time for a deload.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: