Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Another sarcasm spasm

I don’t know about you but let me tell you a little about me.  At this point in my middle-age man life, with more years of life under my belt than years of life remaining, I’m endowed with a large treasure of life experiences that make me the person I am today.

Many of these experiences are pleasant, and hopefully they bring out an intrinsic goodness that I believe resonates in me most of the time.  But, unfortunately, there’s also a dark side.  Some might describe me as one who wears a coat of thick-skinned armor, known to frequent the jaded-zone, perhaps has been dealt a genetic wise guy deck of cards, and has a proclivity of doling out rough-around-the-edges sarcasm.

Yes, this I must confess.  I don’t do so proudly although maybe when my wickedness is not in remission, I might privately smirk in a devious delight when describing my dark side.

As a sexagenarian who soon will begin year three of this decade of life, I suppose it’s time for me to grow up and answer to a higher-calling.  I should exhibit omnibenevolent behavior all, rather than some, of the time.  There’s no justification in me dismissing my dark side behavior by pointing out that every other middle-aged man is no different.  Since when should my measuring stick be that of the lowest common denominator?

So, I resolve to do better than what I’ve done in the past and get out of, once and for all, this gutter where I sometimes enjoy being. 

To rub lotion on my thick skin and soften it up a bit.  To spend less time in my jaded-zone.  To leave being Mr. Wise Guy to someone else who is further from figuring it out than hopefully me.  And to give a big boot to my rough-around-the-edges sarcasm once and for all.

Will I lose a few acquaintances and friends along the way in my transformation journey such as those who enjoy my vocal creations?  Perhaps, but time will tell.   

Regardless, it’s time for me to be on high alert, starting right now, so that I no longer succumb in moments of weakness by having another sarcasm spasm.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: