Thursday, January 12, 2017

Butt of my dry humor

Life is a journey of personal transformation or at least it should be for both you and me.  In my transformation journey, each step along the way should ascend to a higher level.  One indication of my ascension to this higher level is how I use my dry humor to make the world a better place for all of us.

I’d say my experience being a wise-guy has been in the humor I’ve directed at others, making them the ridicule of what I’ve uttered.

This behavior has its origin going way back to my elementary school days and time on the school playground during class recess.  

It was rough and tough being a young boy surviving all the vocal assaults that would come my way from fellow classmates in what can best be described as normal adolescent young boy behavior.  

It gave me thick skin at a very young age.  It also gave me self-defense skills of being able to dish it back out.  I became a Quick Draw Magraw character in my self-defense of quickly sending one back after receiving one. 

It was so much easier doling it out, though, than being on the receiving end of cruel humor and in the process of doing so, I became good at it.  I thrived on the rush of being labeled as “cool” and clever for the wise-guy stuff I said.

These experiences formed me and so many others; we grew up to be purveyors of wise-guy comedic assaults that too often are delivered in bad taste, are cruel and disrespectful, inconsiderate and rude to say the least. 

Contrast this Don Rickles’ type of humor to that of the late and great comedian Rodney Dangerfield, whose humor was more self-deprecating in content; it evoked delight and laughter among those listening. 

Which type is better for me to deliver in my continuing journey of wanting to be a clever wise-guy capable of making life fun and jolly for those who are my audience?

It seems like it would be healthy trying something new and making me, rather than someone else the butt of my dry humor.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: