Thursday, January 5, 2017

To discover in my lifetime

Something I’ve thought for a long time, and shared with others is my honest belief that every single person in the whole wide world excels at something more than anyone else in the whole wide world.  Yes, this is something I really believe.

When I’ve shared this belief with others, I sometimes get an “Oh, yeah” response said with an inflection and tone clearly conveying that the person listening to what I just said doesn’t believe me.  It’s natural to not believe the supernatural on first impression.

But if given the opportunity to explain myself further, I sometimes am successful in getting casual agreement; not always, but sometimes. Regardless of agreement or not, I remain steadfast in my belief.

The essential ingredient in making my belief true as how you define the something part.  Once again, everyone in the whole wide world excels at something more than anyone else in the whole wide world.  Got it?

So, let’s take someone who believes they’re not good at anything.  They may suffer from low self-esteem but have an amazing patience and an ability to listen with great interest while conveying honest praise and feedback to someone who may be “tooting their horn” how great they are at this and that.

I’m not saying this person is the best doing this in the whole wide world, but possible he or she is.  Yes, he may be the best person in the whole wide world of patiently listening with great interest and able to convey honest praise and feedback to someone else who’s tooting their horn about how great they are at this and that.

Get it?

I could give you a dozen more examples but know you’re capable of taking my point and running with it by creating your own examples.  Again, I really believe this with all my heart.  And, again, the “trick” is being able to clearly and cleverly define this “something”.

So, what about me?  What’s it that I’m the best at in the whole wide world?  That’s a tough question for me to answer and maybe it’s for you as well.  Honestly, I don’t have an immediate answer to my question but believe whatever it is, it’s something.

And this something is something I hope to discover in my lifetime.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: