Friday, August 21, 2009

Getting together to pig out


In my constant search for Pierini Fitness blogflection material, I jump with joy and shout “Eureka” when I stumble across a news article meant for me to tear apart or use to have fun. I struck gold Wednesday evening when I read about a small U.S. study that found that overweight children and teenagers eat more when they have a snack with an overweight friend rather than a thinner peer.

While the researchers studied the behaviors of a group of children between ages 9 and 15 years, researcher Sarah-Jean Salvy, an assistant professor of pediatrics at the State University of New York, commented that the same pattern has been found in adults.

The research findings appear in the August 2009 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. You can read an abstract of this research study here:

The presence of friends increases food intake in youth

Thanks to this research, I now know that fat friends are more likely to call one another with a suggestion of getting together to pig out.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: