Friday, March 17, 2017

Can’t do corn beef and cabbage!

When I think of St. Patrick’s Day, I think of a Catholic priest I’ve known for a long time.  He’s a legend in my part of the world, known to all and the priest who baptized my son long ago.

He served a parish in my neighborhood for over 60 consecutive years which is generally unheard of among priests.  Priests generally rotate to a different parish every three to five years but for some reason, Monsignor Kavanaugh came to Sacramento in 1948, was assigned to St. Rose Catholic Church, and never left until he unfortunately had to retire from active ministry due to health reasons.

When I think of Monsignor Kavanaugh, I think if a proud Irishman immigrant who came to America and who made life better for all those who knew him.  Though he lived most of his life in Sacramento, he never lost his Irish pride nor completely lost his mother tongue.  St. Patrick’s Day has always been for him an important day of Irish pride celebration, and I’m sure today is the same.

It’s also an important day for others, regardless of whether their roots are near the Blarney Stone or if they believe in leprechauns.

They’ll celebrate St. Patrick’s Day today centered around Irish food and spirits.  For some, the spirits consumed will be greater than food at various bars, pubs and restaurants across American and around the world.  Green will be the color of choice in celebration attire worn.

Traditional Irish food this day is a plate of classic corn beef and cabbage, a meal I was never exposed to during the formative years of developing my food preferences. Therefore, this Irish celebration cuisine isn’t one of my favorite meals.  In fact, I don’t know if I have ever eaten this two-item combo.     

Since, like many middle-aged men, I’m set in my ways and not open to trying something new, I’ll find some way to honor Monsignor Kavanaugh and his Irish pride today but it won’t be with this standard Irish St. Patrick’s Day grub because, I can’t do corn beef and cabbage!

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: