Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Half empty or half full?


If I were a person easily depressed about economic news, I'd be depressed 24 hours a day and 7 days a week right now. The media continues to report bad economic news around the clock such as the continuing real estate crisis, new failures of financial institutions, rising unemployment and a teetering stock market. But I am not one of those people. God has graced me with measured optimism, and I know I'm not alone.

At this very moment, there are many people who are seizing new opportunities provided by the current state of our depressed economy. Those who are working outside their comfort zones by taking different and perhaps lower-paying jobs, or maybe becoming self-employed to create the employment they have been unable to find as an employee. Those who are investing in the stock market and real estate because there are bargains galore. Many will be far better off from these changes once the bad economy dust settles.

As Sun Tzu, an influential and legendary Chinese author of The Art of War, said, "opportunities multiply as they are seized" . A new generation of financially successful people will emerge from this current economic crisis, some of whom were initially "victims" of the current depressed economy.

It may seem as if I lack empathy for those who have lost their jobs and homes due to the poor economy because I have not yet experienced a similar fate. Therefore, I must guard against this predisposition by including those people in my prayers and thoughts while giving thanks to God for the blessings He has given me.

From the physics class I never took is the law that for every action there is a reaction. I believe this is true with the economy and, unfortunately, one person's crisis is another person's opportunity. Is the glass of water half empty or half full?

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite reply to the question is the glass half empty or half full has always been: Which half?

Bob

Anonymous said...

It's half full.

Pierini Fitness said...

Hi Bob and Charles, you both responded with good middle-age man answers.

Thanks for stopping by.

Franklin said...

There is a great Laurel and Hardy routine where on a double date, they only have enough money to purchase three sodas, one for each of their dates and the third to be split between them.

Hardy allows Laurel to drink first whereupon Laurel guzzles the entire soda. When Hardy inquires how Laurel could do such a thing he replies:

"I'm sorry Ollie, my half was on the bottom!"