Friday, February 13, 2009

What's up Doc?


My wife recently bought a big bag of carrots to make carrot juice. A big bag guarantees several rounds of this refreshing beverage that tastes best when chilled in the freezer before drinking. I’ve been taking advantage of our current abundant inventory of this super food by packing 3 to 4 carrots in my brown bag lunch to work every day this week.

It’s interesting that my food consumption at work seems to be a function of the time I have available to eat. Since I’m currently in the thick of my busy work season, eating carrots and fruits for lunch is proving to be a time-efficient trick to tame the office hunger beast residing in my brain and gut. Today, like yesterday, I'll supplement the carrots with a large cucumber. I like cucumbers, sliced and drizzled with a serving of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

There’s an urban legend that says eating large amounts of carrots will improve eyesight. I’ve read that the origin of this legend developed from stories of carrot-eating British gunners in World War II who were able to shoot down German planes in the darkness of night. I’m not eating them for that reason, but I’m game for anything that will improve my middle-age man reading vision.

Eating a big carrot reminds me of the Bugs Bunny rabbit cartoon character. Sometimes in the middle of a carrot feast, I’ll look at myself in the mirror and utter “what’s up Doc?”

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been putting a carrot in my smoothies as of late. I have a Vita mix so they grind up good with that.

Franklin said...

A few months ago I rediscovered the wonderful culinary experience of crunching on a handful of raw baby carrots.

Since getting back to clean eating including the elimination of processed food products specifically containing refined sugar, cane juice, and high fructose corn syrup, the raw baby carrot provides just enough sweetness to curb the sugar cravings that are slowly receding.

Their health benefits are well documented; the raw carrot contains vitamin A, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B6, thiamine, folic acid, and magnesium.

Pierini Fitness said...

Middle-age men and carrots. Ah the powerful influence of Bugs Bunny growing up as kids.

Thanks for stopping by fellas.