Monday, February 23, 2009

Graduation from Burpee Academy


Last week was my final week of a 7 week burpee challenge that I wrote about here: No burpees today no food tomorrow

Here’s a day-by-day account of how I did this week with comparison times from the previous week:

Monday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee completed in 4:49 for a new personal record (PR). This effort was faster than the previous Monday’s time of 5:39 that was done at the end of an Olympic lift training day.

Tuesday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee completed in 6:33. I took it easy, sort of like an active recovery day, because I was planning on going at it hard the next day. This effort was definitely slower than the previous Tuesday’s time of 4:58, my previous PR.

Wednesday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee completed in 4:49, the same time as my effort two days earlier. This time was faster than the previous Wednesday’s time of 5:36.

Thursday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee completed in 4:46 for a new PR on my birthday. This effort was faster than the previous Thursday’s time of 5:01.

Friday
Having met my burpee challenge that began on a Monday 7 weeks ago, I made a business decision to take the day off and rest my tired middle-age man knees. The previous Friday, I completed a single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee at the snail’s pace of 7:08, done at the end of an Olympic lift training day. I had made a note in my training journal before I did that set that a leisure pace was planned and that is how I did them but they were still hard to do.

The burpee challenge was tough but I hung in there and didn’t miss a day, although I certainly thought about skipping often as I drove home from work knowing that my daily challenge was waiting for me. I’m feeling pretty good right now about my discipline and perseverance, and my graduation from Burpee Academy.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: