Tuesday, February 24, 2009

That darn delete key


All computer users have their own unique stories of lost computer files through their own carelessness or external malicious acts. One of my earliest recollections was umpteen years ago, call it circa 1983. I was preparing a cash flow projection for a client using my first computer, a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 3 and a pre-Excel spreadsheet program called MultiPlan, with my little boy son sitting on my lap. The bright orange computer on/off button got his attention and curiosity so he pressed it; my computer shut down and I lost a couple hours of work because I had not saved the worksheet. I learned a valuable lesson: save and backup as I go and I have generally been doing it ever since.

Notice that I said generally.

Last Sunday evening, I accidentally deleted two recent Pierini Fitness blogflections while trying to organize my archives by subject titles. Both were not saved elsewhere in a backup file and have basically disappeared into a cyberspace cemetery. I’m still trying to find them but I believe they are gone, gone, gone! One of the deleted blogflections was one that I treasured; the one I recently wrote about how my wife spends half her life losing things and the other half trying to find them.

Life will go on for this middle-age man blogger but I am upset at myself and that darn delete key.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: