Friday, February 27, 2009

Upside down


This week I added another exercise to my early morning, 10-minute time-challenged workouts - a 54 second handstand hold with my feet against the wall for balance. The handstand hold is one of the static isometric postures making up my Plan B workout medley that I wrote about here: I'm doing my Plan B workout

My theme of 54 reps or 54 seconds of whatever I’m doing is a good reminder of my middle-age man chronological age. It makes me wonder what my workouts will be like when I’m 90 years young. The 54 seconds is short of my best effort of 1:59 but long enough to wake up my early morning sleepy muscles.

Static isometric postures make my body feel good and are a great way to start the day. The handstand hold gives me a nice contrast and appreciation of the upside world in which I live. So I’ve made a fitness “business decision” to take a pause for the cause and spend a few early morning moments upside down.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pierini, you check out Ross Enamait's site?

You'd probably enjoy Infinite Intensity, mixing bodyweight stuff with weights.

How's your lifts coming? I see the burpee conditioning is still alive...

Wackybaby

Justin_PS said...

How goes it, Sir?

I can't resist doing a push-up when in that position. Still, without movement, it's a great exercise for sure!

It certainly helps with the shoulder muscles.

Best Wishes,
Justin

Pierini Fitness said...

Hi WB, thanks for the visit. It's nice to know you are still breathing. Ross has good stuff. I have his NG book. The Oly lifting is going good - chasing the snatch is definitely a challenge.

Hi Justin, it goes good but work is kicking my butt right now, thanks for asking.

I've done handstand pushups in the past but nowhere near your young-man prowess. At this point, I like the static isometric postures, particularly at 6:00 a.m. or earlier when I am performing them.

Fellas, you both have a great weekend!

Charles Long said...

I do tree walkers with handstand pushups but have never tried just doing a static hold on that one. I do wall chairs so maybe I should try that a time or two and see what happens.