Monday, February 9, 2009

Week 5 burpee challenge status report


Last Friday was the end of week 5 of my burpee challenge. For those who missed my burpee challenge, you can read about it here: No burpees today no food tomorrow

This week I used my heart rate monitor and performed a single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee for all five days. I recorded my starting heart rate (HR), and also my average HR and highest HR expressed as beats per minute (bpm) while performing the set. Based on previous HR training efforts, I believe my maximum HR is 185 bpm. The percentages in parenthesis are in relation to my maximum HR.

It was a good week as I report below in my week 5 burpee challenge status report:

Monday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee completed in 6:00, done at the end of an Olympic lift training day. This effort was slower than my previous Friday effort of 5:27.

Heart rate (HR) stats: starting HR beats per minute (bpm): 115 bpm - average HR of 169 bpm (91%) - highest HR of 179 bpm (97%).

Tuesday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee completed in 5:04 for a new personal best.

Heart rate (HR) stats: starting HR beats per minute (bpm): 112 bpm - average HR of 161 bpm (87%) - highest HR of 171 bpm (92%).

Wednesday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee completed in 6:06, done at the end of an Olympic lift training day.

Heart rate (HR) stats: starting HR beats per minute (bpm): 101 bpm - average HR of 162 bpm (88%) - highest HR of 176 bpm (95%).

Thursday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee, completed in 5:00 for a new personal best.

Heart rate (HR) stats: starting HR beats per minute (bpm): 114 bpm - average HR of 160 bpm (86%) - highest HR of 170 bpm (92%).

Friday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee completed in 5:45. My plan was to treat myself to a slower and comfortable pace so I was surprised that my time wasn't slower.

Heart rate (HR) stats: starting HR beats per minute (bpm): 116 bpm - average HR of 152 bpm (82%) - highest HR of 169 bpm (91%).

This week's effort and HR statistics indicate that my anaerobic conditioning is improving. That's my week 5 burpee challenge status report.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: