Saturday, February 7, 2009

I'm so lonesome I could cry

A couple evenings ago my wife shared about a visit she made that day to an extremely lonely person she knows. We also talked about other lonely people we know, many of whom are widows and widowers.

Being lonely is a terrible cross that too many people carry. At this very moment, there are more lonely people than we can imagine or count. They survive being without company, cut off from others, not frequented by human beings, sad from being alone, and carry a feeling of bleakness or desolation. It just doesn't seem fair.

This lonely feeling is so well expressed in "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry", a song written and recorded by American country music singer-songwriter Hank Williams in 1949.




Join me today in making a special effort to call or visit five people you know who are or might be lonely? And while you are at it, could you encourage five people you know to do the same?

Over 80 people a day read my blogflections on days that I make an extra effort and send them an e-mail. If all of those 80 people make five calls or visits to someone they know who is lonely, and they also ask five family, friends and acquaintances to do the same, we can make a small contribution of putting a twinkle in the eyes and a smile on the face of 2,000 lonesome human beings; so they won't feel like Hank Williams did when he sang the song "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry".

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

1 comment:

Brian said...

Right on pierini. This is an excellent post.